Sunday, May 25, 2014

What I miss most...

I have been in the States for almost 6 months now, and there is one thing that I am really missing: friends.

The last few months have been great and there has been an abundance of family - having just got married in January and seeing my family grow at the speed of "I do" has been wonderful - but there is an intimacy in friendship, different entirely from the intimacy of family that I miss. 

I'm not a socialite and as an INTJ on the Myers-Briggs, introversion seems to be my thing, but making friends hasn't ever been too difficult for me, given enough time. I don't think it's something special I do, I've just been very lucky. Mostly through circumstance, I've been forced to be in the presence of people, and when I'm in their presence long enough, I grow on them.

Which is why the last few months have been so difficult. Spending so much time living in two houses 130km apart, and going to two different churches (seldom to the same one three weeks in a row) and not having a job where I can meet new people has meant that I haven't been able to make new friends. Added to this, I'm not sure how long we'll be in Imperial Beach, so there is a certain feeling of futility in trying to make friends.

I miss having someone's house I can just pop around to; a group that just gets together on the weekend - not every weekend, but enough to make it count; being able to invite someone over for drinks; someone with whom to discuss politics; etc.

So in short, just to say. I miss you all. And appreciate friends past all the more.

No comments:

Post a Comment