Monday, April 21, 2014

Coming to America

I've been to the USA several times before, but never with the idea of staying forever, never with the idea of making it home. But then I met a Rebecca and three years later, we're married and living in America. Moreover, we're almost certainly making America our long term home.

Being born and raised in South Africa, and never thinking of any other place as home - not even Taiwan where I spent three years teaching - it has come as a surprise how quickly I have come to think of America as my home. What makes it weird to feel this way is that I am not even allowed the basic privilege of work here yet - all my documents are pending, under review, being processed... some other bureaucratic term. And once I am allowed to work (in a few months time), it will be several years before I am eligible to apply for citizenship. So having very little status, and being years away from being a citizen, I find it strange how much America feels like my home.

Who knows where I'll land up, but before long, when I talk of home, I'll be talking about the USA. 

No comments:

Post a Comment